Smokey eye makeup is a timeless and versatile look that can be worn for both casual and formal occasions. Smokey eye makeup can be achieved using different shades of eyeshadow, with black and grey being the most common colors used. However, other colors such as brown, green, and purple can also be used to create a smokey eye look. For a daytime look, you can opt for lighter shades of eyeshadow and a softer eyeliner. For a nighttime look, you can use darker shades of eyeshadow and add some glitter or shimmer to your lid.
The technique involves blending different shades of eyeshadow together to create a smooth transition from dark to light. However, achieving the perfect smokey eye can be intimidating, especially for beginners. In this blog post, we’ll provide a comprehensive step-by-step guide on how to do smokey eye makeup for beginners.
Essential Tools for Smokey Eye Makeup Look
Smokey eye makeup is a popular and glamorous beauty look that requires specific tools to achieve. Here are some essential tools you’ll need to create a stunning smokey eye makeup look:
- Eyeshadow primer: An eyeshadow primer helps to create a smooth base for your eyeshadow and prevents it from creasing or smudging.
- Eyeshadow brushes: You’ll need at least two eyeshadow brushes – one for applying the eyeshadow and the other for blending. A flat shader brush is ideal for applying eyeshadow to the lid, while a fluffy blending brush is perfect for blending out the edges.
- Eyeshadow palette: Choose an eyeshadow palette with shades that complement each other and can be blended well together. Black, grey, and brown are common colors used for smokey eye makeup, but you can also experiment with other colors like green, purple, or blue.
- Eyeliner: A black or dark-colored eyeliner is essential for creating a smokey eye look. You can use a pencil, gel, or liquid eyeliner depending on your preference.
- Mascara: A volumizing and lengthening mascara can help to define your lashes and complete the smokey eye look.
- False lashes (optional): If you want to add more drama to your smokey eye look, you can try using false lashes. Choose natural-looking lashes that blend well with your natural lashes.
- Makeup remover: In case you make any mistakes or need to remove your makeup, keep a makeup remover on hand.
Recommended Articles: Prevent Your Makeup from Melting in Summer
How To Apply Smokey Eye Makeup?
Step 1: Prepare Your Eyelids By Applying Primer
The first step in creating any eye makeup look is to apply an eyeshadow primer. This will create a smooth base for the eyeshadow to adhere to and help it last longer. Apply a small amount of primer onto your eyelids and blend it out evenly using your fingers or a brush.
Step 2: Apply Base Shade
Next, apply a light-colored eyeshadow all over your eyelids as a base. This shade should be slightly darker than your natural skin tone and will act as a base for the deeper colors. This will create a canvas for other shades to blend into. You can use shades of beige or cream for this step.
Step 3: Apply Darker Shades
Using a small brush, apply a dark eyeshadow shade, such as black or dark brown, onto the outer corner of your eyelid and blend it outwards towards the crease. Make sure to blend the eyeshadow well to avoid any harsh lines. Repeat this process with a slightly lighter shade of eyeshadow, blending it outwards and upwards towards your brow bone. Then, apply a medium shade onto the center of your eyelid and blend it into the darker shades.
Step 4: Line Your Eyes
Once you’ve blended the eyeshadows together, apply black eyeliner along your upper lash line. Use a smudger brush to smudge the liner slightly to create a more natural look. You can also apply a little bit of the same eyeliner along your lower lash line. If you prefer a softer look, you can use a brown or grey eyeliner instead.
Step 5: Add Final Touches
Finish off your smokey eye makeup look with a few coats of mascara and some false lashes if desired. You can also use a white or nude-colored eyeliner to brighten up your inner corners and make your eyes appear brighter.
Connected Articles: Steps to Get the Look of Fuller Brows With Makeup
Here are some additional tips and tricks for creating the perfect smokey eye makeup look:
- Use a transition shade: To make the blending process smoother, use a transition shade that is slightly lighter than your skin tone. This will help to blend out any harsh lines and create a more natural look.
- Start with a pencil liner: If you’re having trouble applying liquid or gel eyeliner, start with a pencil liner. A pencil liner is easier to control and can be smudged for a softer look.
- Use different textures: To add dimension to your smokey eye look, use eyeshadows of different textures such as matte, shimmer, and metallic.
- Don’t forget your lower lash line: Applying eyeshadow to your lower lash line can help to balance out the look and make your eyes appear larger. Use a small brush to apply eyeshadow along your lower lash line and blend it outwards.
- Gradually build up the intensity: It’s easier to add more eyeshadow than to remove it, so start with a light hand and gradually build up the intensity as needed.
- Use a clean brush to blend: To avoid muddying the colors, use a clean brush to blend out any harsh lines or edges in your eyeshadow.
- Don’t skip the mascara: Mascara is an essential part of any eye makeup look. It helps to define your lashes and make your eyes pop. Apply a few coats of mascara to your top and bottom lashes to complete the look.
Remember, practice makes perfect when it comes to creating the perfect natural smokey eye makeup look. With the right tools and technique, even beginners can create a stunning smokey eye look. Don’t be afraid to experiment with different shades, textures, and techniques until you find what works best for you. With these tips and tricks, you’ll be well on your way to mastering the art of best smokey eye makeup.