Lipstick is one of the most important makeup items because it is the lipstick that completes your makeup and gives a beautiful look to your lips. It is the most popular makeup product among all age group of girls. Just a simple stroke of lipstick can enhance your look, but coloring your lips is also an art and everybody is not perfect in this task. Beginners need little practice and step by step guide on how to apply lipstick. You need proper care of your lips to make them soften because lipstick may look uneven on cracked and unhealthy lips. If your question is- how to apply lipstick perfectly? Then you can find your answer in this article.
How to Apply Lipstick Like a Professional
Step 1: Prep Your Lips
This is the first and most important step and I can’t skip this step. If you are a beginner and learning how to apply lipstick, first always prepare your lips for next steps. Exfoliate your lips using a damp towel or apply Vaseline on a soft toothbrush and gently scrub. Always gentle while exfoliating as the lip skin is thin and soft. After exfoliation, apply lip balm to hydrate and moisturize your lips. This step will make your lips soft, supple and healthy-looking.
Step 2: Apply A Base
Just as we use foundation on the face for uneven skin tone, in the same way, also apply foundation on the lips to cover uneven liptone. This acts as a primer and fills cracks you might have in your lips. You should use foundation color according to your skin tone. Use a brush to apply foundation on the lips. This step is optional but works great for uneven liptone. Apply some compact over the base, as this will make your lip color stay on longer and will also help not to spread.
Step 3: Apply A Lip Liner
Use a lip liner to outline your lips because Lip liner helps in defining the natural lip shape. Lip liner also helps in preventing the lipsticks from getting messy. Clear shape of lips helps you to apply the lipstick with more precision. For defining your natural lips, use 2 types of lip liners –
- A lip liner that matches with your lips color
- A lip liner that matches the color of your lipstick
Apply the lip liner on the outline of your lips starting from center of your Cupid’s bow and trace your lips from both corner of your mouth. Now, come to the center of your bottom lip and trace along your lip out to the corners of mouth on each side. In case you don’t have lip liner, you can also use a liquid lipstick to line your lips perfectly. The outer line should be perfect to try a lipstick.
Read also: Best Lipstick Shades For Fair Skin
Step 4: Apply the Lipstick
Once you got a perfect shape of your lips after applying lip liner, now it’s time to take out your favorite lipstick. Start applying the lipstick on the center of your upper lip, just below the Cupid’s bow. Carefully dot the lip color onto your Cupid’s bow and apply it evenly all over your upper lip by covering the inner corners also. In the same way position your lipstick in the center of your bottom lip and spread it out to the corners of your bottom lip. While applying lipstick, make your lips smiley, so that your skin naturally stretches out and your application will be even.
It’s easy to apply directly from the tube. But you can also use a lipstick brush to spread the lipstick on your lips. Ensure the lipstick should not go behind the lined lips. If you have dry lips, go for moisturizing lipsticks that helps to condition your lips. Avoid going over your lips with multiple swipes of lipstick as this could make your lips look patchy and cakey. That’s why one good coat of a quality lipstick is enough.
Step 5: Blot Your Lipstick
Yes, this is an optional step and you can also skip this step. But this step give your lips pouty look and make your lipstick last longer. To blot your lips, fold a clean tissue in half, and then hold it between your lips and Press your lips together around the tissue and release. This removes the extra product and oil from your lips and leaves you with a thin layer of lipstick. It also helps to prevent your lipstick from getting on your teeth.
Just like we set our facial makeup with a setting powder, especially in case of liquid products to make them last longer, in the same way we can also set our lipstick. With the help of a clean finger or a brush apply some translucent powder on your lips to set your lipstick.
Some Important Tips And Precautions To Be Taken While Applying Lipstick
- If you don’t have a scrub to exfoliate your lips, you can use a soft toothbrush or a clean wet towel.
- Lipstick will last longer if you outline your lips with the liner before applying lipstick. You can use a nude liner or the liner that matches to your lipstick.
- You can use upper top point of lipstick as a liner, in case you don’t have lip liner in your makeup kit.
- Use your clean finger to spread lipstick on your lips to get a smooth texture.
- Blot with the back of your hand or tissue to remove excess product or layer that may go on your teeth and spoil your beautiful look.
- You can use your lipstick as a cheek color when you are out of blush.
- Never use a dark liner with light lipstick as it looks unprofessional.
- In case of full lips you can use lip liner to inner side of your natural lip line. This gives a look of thinner lips.
- In case of thin lips you can use lip liner to outer side of your natural lip line. This gives a look of fuller lips.
- Use a concealer with your dark color lipstick to make it into a light/nude shade.
- Try to use your red/ orange lipstick as a concealer. It works well.
- To get a fuller look of lips, Make an ‘X’ shape on your cupid’s bow and highlight it.
- Lip stains work very well if you are going somewhere where you will drink, so it won’t get on the glass.
- Primers add long lasting color on your lips and it helps keep the lips from drying out.
Benefits of Using Lipstick
Lipstick is a makeup item that enhances your beauty. Women who wear lipstick look pretty and confident. But it also has some skin benefits. Advantages of lipstick are:
Lipstick work as a protective layer
Lips skin is very thin and sensitive that’s why easily affected by cold and wind. But Lipstick is a good product that proves as a barrier and can protect our lips from these affecting elements.
Read also: 6 Tips to Take Care of Soft Hands
Repair cracked and dry lips
If you are facing the problem of dry and cracked lips, then choose and use the lipstick that contains natural oils because it moisturize your lips. Good quality lipstick gives you soft, smooth and supple lips.
Protect from UV rays
As you know our lips skin is very soft, thin, sensitive and lacks melanin. That’s the reason, lips skin can easily damaged by sun’s harmful rays. A quality lipstick contains SPF and work as a protective barrier for harmful UV rays.
Adjust your Lips size
Lipstick can somehow adjust the size of your lips, so it is one of the most important features and advantage of lipstick. Lipstick makes your lips look great. It can make your lips look fuller, if they are thin. In the same way thinner lips can look fuller, if you correctly apply it.
Makes your personality attractive
Personality is first impression of a person. Lipstick enhances your facial look and makes you feel more confident. Your smile appears very nice and bright after wearing right lipstick on right occasion. Women who wear makeup with lipstick look attractive and confident.
- how to apply lipstick black girl
- how to apply lipstick for beginners
- how to apply lipstick for long lasting
- how to apply lipstick from a palette
- how to apply lipstick matte
- how to put on lipstick professionally
how to put on lipstick without lip liner