Dandruff is one of the most common hair problems in men and women. Dandruff usually appears as fine, dry, and flaky skin on your scalp.
In some cases, it simply shows up as white flakes without any itching or irritation. But it can bother you a lot when the symptoms of burning and itching are also associated with white flakes.
There are many causes why a person gets dandruff. Weather can be one of the main reasons for dandruff. For some people, it’s the humidity, while for others; it’s the dry winter season that is responsible for dandruff.
If Anti-Dandruff Shampoos are not helping in getting rid of dandruff, we have simple home remedies to get rid of dandruff and itchy flaky scalps.
Simple Home Remedies For Dandruff
1. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties that may help to get rid of dandruff problem. It has a lot of medicinal values, so it is very effective for the treatment of acne also.
- Mix the tea tree oil with coconut oil or olive oil and massage into your scalp.
- Leave it on for 10-15 minutes and then rinse with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this twice a week.
Note: Tea tree oil can cause irritation in sensitive skin people. Dilute tea tree oil properly with either water or carrier oil and do a patch test before using it.
2. Baking Soda
Baking Soda is another ingredient that is a quick and convenient dandruff remedy. It works as a mild exfoliant, gentlely remove dead skin cells and reduce the scaling and itchiness of the scalp. It also controls excess oil on the scalp.
- Apply baking soda directly to wet hair and massage it into your scalp.
- Leave it on for about 2 minutes and then continue shampooing your hair as usual.
- Apply twice a week for better result.
Yoghurt or Dahi is an ingredient that works to remove dandruff quickly for all types of hair. It’s anti-inflammatory and cooling properties makes it natural remedy for dandruff and also treat dry and itchy scalp.
- Take half a cup of yoghurt and one teaspoon lemon juice in a bowl.
- Mix it properly.
- Apply on hair from scalp to root and keep it on your hair for 30 minutes.
- Wash your hair like usual after that.
- Apply this mask once a week and got a good result.
4. Neem Leaves
If you are looking remedies for dandruff and itchy scalp Neem leaves can help to reduce fungal growth and thus fight dandruff. It has antibacterial and antifungal properties which are good for skin and hair problems. Neem juice can help detoxify your scalp and help to control excess oil. Neem definitely gives a lot of relief from the itchiness and the redness on the scalp.
- Take some clean neem leaves and grind them in a mixer.
- Make a thick paste.
- Add a tablespoon of honey in paste and mix well.
- Apply the mask on your scalp and leave it for 15-20 minutes.
- Once dry, wash off the hair mask with cold water.
Other Method: Boil clean neem leaves in water for 15 mins. Let the water cool and keep it in a spray bottle. Spray every time before you wash your hair.
Repeat this home remedy for dandruff not more than once every two weeks.
5. Aloe vera
Aloe vera contains anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. It is widely known for its medicinal properties and benefits. That’s why it also helps to treat conditions like burns, skin problems, and cold sores. It can be applied in the scalp to prevent dandruff and calm the itchiness. It has a cooling effect on the scalp and leaves your hair soft and smooth.
- Take a leaf of aloe vera and scoop out the gel from it.
- Apply it directly to your scalp and massage.
- Leave it for 30 minutes and wash it off with shampoo.
- To get rid of dandruff in one wash aloe vera works wonders for your hair.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar
This is one of the best remedy to remove dandruff at home. Apple cider vinegar is said to help remove the dead skin cells and balance the scalp’s pH. Vinegar helps in treating itchy, dry skin and also helps to kill dandruff-causing fungus and bacteria. The acidic content of vinegar is supremely beneficial to drastically reduce flaking.
- Dilute an equal quantity mixture of white vinegar with water.
- Scrub it into your scalp, half an hour before washing your hair.
- Keep it for 30 minutes at least. Now wash it off with water.
- You can add some drops of honey in the mask for that extra hydration.
- For best result, use twice a week.
7. Coconut Oil
When Coconut oil used with lemon juice, it works as an amazing home remedies for dandruff. Coconut oil massage may help improve hydration, reduce irritation, and prevent fungal growth on the scalp. Lemon is a rich source of citric acid therefor controls the growth of fungus responsible for causing dandruff and remove dandruff naturally.
- Take 3-5 tablespoons of coconut oil and a tablespoons lemon juice into a bowl.
- Mix well and apply into your scalp. Leave on for an hour.
- Wash your hair as usual with shampoo and conditioner.
- Do this at least twice a week before washing your hair.
What are the causes of Dandruff?
The most common causes of dandruff are:
- Dry skin
- Allergy from hair products
- Seborrheic dermatitis
- Unbalanced diet
- Overgrowth of a yeast-like fungus called Malassezia
- Oil and dirt buildup
- Hairs wash with high temperature water
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q. Does dandruff cause hair fall?
Ans. Dandruff can cause a person to scratch their itchy scalp which results in inflammation. Repeated inflammation may damage hair follicles over time and can result in hair fall.
Q. Does hot water cause dandruff?
Ans. Yes, hot water can be a reason of dandruff problem on your scalp. When you’re washing hair with high temperature water, it removes natural oil from your hair and scalp, leaving it completely dry. A scalp that’s too dry can become irritated and cause dandruff. So, always use cold or lukewarm water for healthy hair.
Q. How to get rid of dandruff permanently?
Ans. There is no permanent solution of Dandruff. You can reduce and manage dandruff problem with the right hair care. Usually, the flakes come and go. Home remedies for dandruff can helpful in managing dandruff and itchiness.
Q. Which is best hair mask for dandruff?
Ans. Yoghurt and lemon juice together can be a good natural hair mask that works as an effective dandruff solution.